Friday, March 20, 2009

purpose

The other day, my wife said to me - "I want a sumomo for our 10th anniversary and a babblefish for our 50th anniversary... if you can't make those things, i'll divorce you." My reaction was simply o_O

She encouraged me to maybe start a blog and get some feedback from readers, so here i am =)

Anyway, the concept of babblefish is rather simple - a universal translator to eliminate all chance of miscommunication and misunderstanding... easier said than done... only way for that to work, given what I know of today, is to have some kind of mapping of neurons to electronics... perhaps a quantum computer can achieve this kind of computational capability in 40 years? leaving me 10 years to do some design? lol

As for "Sumomo," it's a toy from Chobits, a Clamp anime/comic. The concept is a personal communicator that dances and you can have a "conversation" with. To the first degree, it's a super-cute cell-phone with voice commands and then some. I have some thoughts on this one, will leave that for a later post.

Just to get a few things straightened out -

0. (hey, any "real" engineer will start with 0, lol) This blog will consist of engineering ideas that came out of my and my wife's head. If someone else wants to discuss their idea with us, it will be Confidential unless they tell me I can publish it. Chances are, there will only be a few things I will end up developing due to time and funding limitations. As far as knowledge limitations, I can always try to "pull a few strings" and get some help from Caltech or CMU alumnis if it's sufficiently interesting, and when it comes to engineering, that's plenty of support =P

1. I've decided that instead of being all secretive and protect all my ideas as if they are worth something, I am willing to let all my ideas out in the wild. By posting it on a public forum like this makes the idea unpatentable, so if someone else steals it, at least they can't sue me for patent infringement.

2. Reason I've decided on that is hopefully, i'm not a "one-trick pony." If I come up with ideas worth stealing and someone else with more time, more equipment, more money can implement it faster, at least I know I've made some small contribution to this world, for better or worse =P

3. Hopefully, if one day I get famous (haha... riiiight), it'll serve as an encouragement for others to be more interested in engineering, and to "do the right thing" instead of filing frivolous patents and suing everyone for loyalty (*ahm*qualcomm*ahm* lol)

4. All this openness is good 'n all, but if one day, I come up with some "revolutionary idea that can change the world" that's akin to the magnitude of say electricity or semiconductor, I WILL patent it -_-' lol but we all know those things come once every 100 years or so...

Lastly, due to the fact that I hold a full-time job, progress will be slow... don't expect me to implement something in a week... it might be a month before some idea starts to move into implementation -_-' Of course I do have a time constraint, so hopefully, I won't leave it there for too long =P

That's all for now =) Show some support and holla if you like it ;-)

2 comments:

  1. 2 eprops :)
    and i hope u r not revealing more "identities" than you already did. sheesh =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yay, i can collect eprops!!! =D

    ReplyDelete